My niece will be spending the rest of her summer with her father who is stationed a few states away. I thought it was time for a fresh new hairstyle for her airplane ride and her time with daddy. Her last set of braids are shown here.
It took a long time to take her previous braids out. It was about 4 hours- well, I measure in movies, we watched Gnomeo and Juliet and a German cartoon movie called Princess Lillifee. I have to be extra gentle with her hair because she loves any excuse to scream, smh…lol. But this hair session was mostly peaceful. She only cried once and that was mostly because I turned off the TV (she’s a bit spoiled).
Anyway, on to the hair. Here’s what it looked like after taking out the braids… There were virtually no tangles, no matting, and no product build-up. I had to spray the roots of maybe 2 braids to help with undoing them. The rest I unbraided while dry, with no problems.
|ready for a new ‘do|
|Braids easily came undone after 3+ weeks|
|Detangled each piece at a time|
For the first time ever, I used a blow dryer on her hair. I washed with kids shampoo, conditioned with Aussie Moist, rinsed then detangled (using a Denman brush) with Shea Moisture Milk as the leave in and sealed with a shea butter mix that belonged to my sis (not sure what’s in it). I blow dried using tension on low to warm heat, until her hair was about 95% dry.
While braiding, I didn’t use a brush at all, just a comb to make the parts. She had a lot of stretch in her hair because it was braided dry. I set the braids on perm rods and took them out when I was done with all the braids. She was all ready for her trip to see her daddy. The next day, however, it rained so her hair shrunk up, and the curls fell anyway…but braiding on dry, stretched hair was worth it anyway. She doesn’t have the patience for a 2 day hair session so I never get to braid her hair while it’s dry.
|All done- curled up|
|braiding dry gave her more stretch than usual|
- Hairfinity Hair Growth Vitamin Review
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- How To: Good Braiding Technique vs. Bad Braiding Technique
- How To: Help My Braids Are Unraveling
- How To: Mini Braids That Last
- How To: Parting On A Grid
- My Braidout Explained
- My Mini Braids- A History
- Top 5 Mistakes Made When Braiding
- Top 5 Tips for Undoing Mini Braids
Top Posts & Pages
- My Experience With Hairfinity: Hair Growth Vitamins
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- My Experience With Manetabolism: Manetabolism vs Hairfinity
- How To: Help! My Braids Are Unraveling
- How To: Parting on a Grid
- My Experience With Biotin- 5,000 mcg
- How To: Protecting Edges While Wearing Braids
- How To: My Braids Are Frizzy, Now What?
- Preventing Frizzy Braids
- My Experience with MD Nutri Hair Supplement by Susan F. Lin, MD
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tags4a 4B 4C 2013 afro hair apl articles before and after black friday blog updates braids code conditioner coupon coupon code discount fast growth fast hair growth growth hairfinity hair growth hair vitamins how to kinky length check long hair minibraidmethod mini braids my mini braids natural hair pictures product review progress pics promo promo code review sale sales shea moisture style diary style tutorial the mini braid method tutorial Uncategorized vitamins