As my previous article stated, I’m still searching for a hairstyle that’s perfect for trips away. I think wash and goes work for weekend trips. I’ve yet to find something that’s good for 3+ days away. I want to avoid having to style or wash my hair for at least a week. I usually travel with just a backpack, so hair products or tools are not something I normally take with me. At best, I keep some sachets of shampoo and conditioner for emergency hair restyling.
I recently returned from the Maltese Islands, where I celebrated my birthday. I wanted a style that was easy to maintain but didn’t leave my hair flat. I love my massive hair so it feels a bit weird to have flat hair. Loose mini twists seemed like the answer to all my problems. I spent a day putting them in (with tons of long breaks. The style looked really nice. However, even with keeping my hair up in a bun or ponytail it tangled really badly. I don’t know if I’ll be trying this any time in the near future. I think it’s a good option for hair that’s not fine- easily tangled- and hair that’s kinkier- 4b/4c. Here’s my tutorial showing how I did it. Please like the video and subscribe to my YouTube Channel- Thrifty Natural.
The method I used for twisting is very similar to the one I use for mini braids. Watch the video to get an understanding of how I braid or twist my hair. The process is more thoroughly explained in my ebook- Mini Braid Method. Thanks for watching!
This is a big issue for me that I’ve yet to figure out. How should I wear my hair when I’m away from home and traveling? I feel like I’ve tried loads of different options. I’m a low maintenance girl, I stick with my typical styles. My main goal is to NOT have to do ANYTHING at all to my hair while away. I don’t typically pack hair products or even brushes. So when my hair looks a mess, I’m sorta stuck. Here are a few things I’ve tried and the issues with them:
- Wash and Go– I’ve had them flake, get white product buildup, dry out, generally look a mess and it require a heap of products and tons of drying time to redo.
- Braid Outs– Humidity or just everyday life gets to it. I end up having to redo it and look like Celie during the 24 hour + drying time.
- Twist Outs- My hair doesn’t behave as well in twist outs. Stray hairs tangle and cause issues. Doesn’t last as long as braid out and I really don’t care for the style on me.
- Flat Ironed- No matter where I go, no matter how many times I look up the humidity index for the week, my hair will poof up and look a mess. I have to braid/twist or otherwise put texture in my hair for it to work with the poofiness. Textured hairstyles barely last a day so I have to redo every night and my hair gets quite tangled in the meantime. If I’m too tired to flat twist or otherwise style my hair the night before, I’ll look a hot mess the next day.
- Mini Braids- Of course I love my mini braids. I don’t wear these often because I prefer big hair- especially if I’m going to be in lots of pictures. That’s really the only downside- flat hair.
- Mini Twists– These are a bit better than mini braids because my hair is a bit more voluminous. Huge downside is the take down is horrendous. I end up losing a lot of hair from knots.
- Loose Mini Twists– I tried these because they would solve the issue of flat hair and they are quick to put in. They looked ok. The main issue was that they tangled really badly. Because my hair is fine and it was twisted loosely, lots of strands escaped the twists and were loose or worse, joined other twists. By day three, I couldn’t even run my fingers between my twists without them getting caught on strands of hair.
The search for a holiday hairstyle continues. I only travel with a backpack so I prefer not to pack a lot (or any) hair products or tools. During my most recent trip away, I wore loose two strand twists. I filmed a tutorial and will post that next. If you have any recommendations for a hairstyle that works well while on holiday/vacation, please comment below.
I’m trying to roll out quite a few videos just to get my Youtube Channel started. Please support and subscribe! I like to keep it simple. I do this routine once or twice a week.
FTC: Not sponsored, links are affiliate links.
Tricia from T Jewels Butters graciously sent me some samples of her butters all the way from the US to the UK. She sent a sample size of the Lavender Zen Hair and Body Butter and the Black Cherry Almond Bliss Hair and Body Butter.
At first sight, they look exactly like pure shea butter to me. The scent is quite strong for a butter. I like that because I’m not a fan of the natural scent of raw shea and have never been able to properly mask it with essential oils. T Jewels butters have a distinct scent. Personally, I’m not fond of lavender so I used that one up first. I do love cherry scents so I’m saving that for my upcoming holiday because I want my hair to smell nice.
As I mentioned, these butters looked like shea butter and I expected them to perform similarly. I was impressed that they melted down quite easily. It’s freezing here and it didn’t take much to emulsify it in my hands. It spread quite easily and disappeared/absorbed into my fine hair without much effort. My hair usually feels a bit wirey a few days after using raw shea butter (or my own shea butter mix) but it felt fine with this product.
Lovely scent options. Quite firm consistency but emulsifies with little effort.
I do think they are quite pricey, if you go for the smaller size. The 8 ounce sizes are more economical. But I’m willing to spend a little more to support black businesses.
I do really like the butters formulation. The cherry scent is nice and the Sweet Orange and Peppermint definitely interest me.
T Jewels Butters sells both hair/body butters and oils. You can check out the full shop here.
I uploaded my first proper YouTube video!!! I’m blogging and making YouTube videos under my other brand Thrifty Natural. I’m still transitioning the blog to natural hair (not just braids) and beauty. The look of the blog will continue to evolve as I upgrade the brand and find my style. Please take a look at my first beauty video. It’s a Get Ready With Me- makeup and hair video. Enjoy! And thanks for the support! 🙂
Click here to visit my website Thrifty Natural.
Click to visit my YouTube Channel Thrifty Natural.
PS: please subscribe for more natural hair and beauty videos (especially so I can reach custom thumbnail status! lol).
I feel like I put my hair through a lot this year with the big move across the pond and severely cutting down my stash. I’m going to invest in some more products to help keep my hair moist in this climate. I’m also thinking about starting 2016 with a fresh blunt cut. My favorites from this year are mostly things I brought with me from the US and things I missed dearly.
- Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk: this is my everyday leave in. I have about 3 or 4 bottles left in my stash. I had my mum buy it and bring a few bottles over. She’s a master couponer and was able to get a great deal at Ulta. She stacked BoGo, manufacturers coupons, and the $3.50 off $10 (I think) and got them super cheap. Shea Moisture is officially launched in the UK so hopefully Boots will have some sales and coupons.
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk: this is a great cowash for me. The large size and bottle are perfect for using in the shower. I buy liter bottles from Marshalls or other discount stores. I’ve read that they are available in Costco in the UK, but haven’t looked yet. The conditioner also works well in my hair and is silicone free.
- Giovanni Nutrafix: This is still one of my favorite conditioners. It’s thicker than the Smooth and Silk but spreads really well. The smell is nice and it makes my hair very soft. While it is advertised as a protein conditioner, it doesn’t do much for me in terms of strengthening.
- Le Kair Cholesterol: I’m still using old faithful. I like this as a DC although I don’t use it nearly as much as I used to. Mostly because I’m staying with family and don’t want to spend too much time washing my hair as I’m not paying the bills.
- Bentonite Clay: This goes on the “things I missed list.” I packed some but ended up taking out of my suitcase because it was overweight. I recently purchased some clay from Anita Grant- a UK hair product company- but that version is more finely milled and turned into a clumpy consistency like if you added flour to water instead of water to flour. I’ll have to figure out a recipe that works for this particular brand.
- Coconut Oil: My hair hated coconut oil. I’m still not sure it likes it. Butters and oils tend to make my hair feel hard and wirey. In this cold weather, I’ve been dealing with extremely dry skin, scalp, and hair. Using coconut oil on my scalp has helped keep it from flaking. I’ve used it on my skin sparingly as well. I’ve added it a favorite because my scalp is much better with it than without it.
- Shampoo: I’ve been a cowash/ Curly Girl for years now…basically since I went natural in 2009. I normally only shampoo after using silicones and I only use cones when straightening. Because my scalp has been super dry and I’ve used a lot of heavy butter and oils, I’ve had to shampoo. So far my favorite shampoo is from Maple Holistics. The Winter Blend Shampoo and Conditioner work wonders for my hair and scalp.
One staple I’m still in search of is a styler. I want a heavy cream to set braid outs and twists outs. In seven years, I have yet to find one I love that provides lasting moisture.
I didn’t buy much from the natural hair vendors on Black Friday. I’m dealing with international shipping rates so I didn’t bother to peruse a lot of sales. I did place orders at two vendors- Anita Grant and Mane Choice. Anita Grant is a UK natural hair vendor that I’ve wanted to check out for some time. The sale was about 20% off of full size items, so that just covered shipping.
I bought the Rhassoul Clay Deep Condish Treatment Cubes that are raved about. I thought I bought 6 cubes, but turns out it’s only 3. My hair loves clay…so it should work well for me. That said, I also bought some basic bentonite clay and kaolin clay. It’s hard to get ahold of bentonite clay in my city, so I’d have to get it online. The last thing I got was a sample size of the Amaretto di Cucuacu body butter for my bf’s beard and dry skin.
Shipping was fast, considering I got the notice that it was shipped today (12/4) and it was with my postman this morning (I ordered 11/28). Everything was packaged nicely (looks-wise) but there is clay all over the box and on the packages.
When I try the deep conditioner cubes, I’ll report back.
I subscribe to a few 100 YouTube channels and watch a few videos per day. I came across a natural hair tutorial that I knew I just had to try. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to hair so I only use rollers a few times a year. This tutorial, however, made it seem so simple. I’m sure I’ve seen ones like it before, but I hadn’t tried this method until now. Here’s the tutorial by CurlDaze: Video Link.
Basically you flat twist your hair and only roll the ends on flexi rods. It makes it easy to set long hair on rollers because only the ends are on the rods. The first time I did it, I combed out a 3 day old braid out and sprayed my hair with water to set. I had the rods in for a day and 1/2 and the results were great. The second time, I blow dried freshly washed hair. I put a bit of gel to hold the style and left it in overnight. Sadly it didn’t dry all the way and it rained the next couple days so it was all for naught. Overall, it was a great styling option. I liked the results from the first time better, but I would do it again on freshly washed and completely detangled (brushed out) hair.
The best thing about the style is it got bigger and fluffier throughout the day.
There’s not much information across the web as of yet. I’ll fill in details as they come and delete vendors who are not having sales this year. Visit vendor’s respective sites for most up-to-date and accurate information.
|Beauty Supply||Category||Sale Title||Dates||Promotion||Codes||Restrictions|
|Hairfinity||Hair Care, Vitamins*||Black Friday||20% Off||BLACKHF15||Max 4 Bottles|
|Alikay Naturals||Hair Care*||Pre Black Friday; Black Friday; SBS, Cyber Monday||25 Nov; 26 Nov - 27 Nov; 28 Nov; 30 Nov||25% Off; 40% Off; 10% off, Free shipping & free gift $65+; 25% Off||Discount off entire site. No code. While supplies last.|
|Aubrey Organics||Hair Care|
|Bee Mine||Hair Care*||Doorbuster 26 Nov; Black Friday||26 Nov 6 PM - 8PM EST; 8:01 PM EST 26 Nov - 27 Nov 11:59 PM EST||40% off; 35% off||GIVETHANKS; 3GIVETHANKS||Minimum $35 Purchase|
|Camile Rose||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 29 Nov||25% off||crnblackfriday|
|Carol's Daughter||Hair Care|
|Coastal Scents||Make Up, Butters, Oils||Up to 55% off entire site|
|Curls||Hair Care*||Black Friday||50% Off everything||Froday15|
|Curl Mart||Beauty Supply||Grey Friday||20 Nov||25% Off & $5 Shipping||No Code|
|Curlformers||Rollers||Black Friday||27 Nov - 30 Nov Midnight||20% off|
|Darcy's Botanicals||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 29 Nov||25% Off||thankyou|
|Donna Marie||Hair Care|
|Hairveda||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov Midnight - 30 Nov 11:59 PM||40% Off||BLKFRI|
|Hattache||Beauty Supply||Black Friday||26 Nov 9:00 PM - 27 Nov 11:59 PM||25% Off & Free US Shipping on $65 or more||BF2015||Excludes Synthetic Hair|
|Hot Combs||Hair Tools||Winter Sale||15% Off||Beauty|
|Jane Carter Solutions||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov 11:59 PM||40% Off||BF2015||excludes regimens, kits, prescriptions, bundles|
|Hydratherma Naturals||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 1 Dec||25% Off||SUPERSALE|
|Karen's Body Beautiful||Hair Care*||Black Friday||30% Off of $50+||Blackfriday||1 Coupon per Order|
|Koils By Nature||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov 6 AM - 2 PM||25% Off||blackfriday2015|
|Komaza Hair Care||Hair Care*||Black Friday||26 Nov 11:59 PM PST - 27 Nov 11:59 PM PST||20% Off $50+||112715||Excludes values sets, samples, & hair analysis|
|Kurlie Belle||Hair Care|
|Miss Jessie's||Hair Care*|
|Original Moxie||Hair Care||Black Friday||27 Nov - 30 Nov||30% Off on $30+||OMBF2015|
|Oyin Handmade||Hair Care*||Black Friday||25% Off & Free S/H||Domestic orders|
|Q-Redew||Hair Steamer||Door Buster; Black Friday; Cyber Monday||27 Nov 12:00 - 11:00 AM CST; 27 Nov 11:00 AM - 11:59 PM CST; 28 Nov - 30 Nov||$20 Off; $15 Off; $10 Off||BlackFriday; CyberSale|
|Sally Beauty Supply||Beauty Supply||18 Nov - 20 Nov||20% off $50 or more||888503||Online Only|
|Shescentit||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 30 Nov 11:59 PM||30% Off||HELLOBEAUTIFUL|
|Soutanicals||Hair Care*||Black Friday||40% Off||[TBA]|
|Uncle Funky's Daughter||Hair Care*||Annual Sale||25% Off everything||SLEIGHCURLS|
|Ynobe Shop||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 4 Dec||40% off all orders||Blackfri15|
|Manetabolism||Hair Care, Vitamins*||Flash Sale||50% Off Everything; 40% off Everything; 30% off everything||BLACKOUT50; BLACKOUT40; BLACKOUT30|
|T. Jewel's||Butters and Oils*||Black Friday- Flash Sale||27 Nov 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST||30% off all items||Thanks||No Combined Offers, 1 Coupon Per Person|
|Terressentials Organics||Clay Wash, Skin Care||Free Shipping Special||expires 30 Nov 11 PM EST||Free Shipping on $75 or more||free shipping||Contiguous US|
|Curl Kit||Hair Care*||Pre- Black Friday||19 Nov - 22 Nov||40% Off All Products||EARLYBFS|
|Eden Body Works||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov||30% Off of $30 or more||blackfriday|
|TGIN||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov - 29 Nov 11:59 PM CST||$9.99 Hair Products||Black15|
|Taliah Waajid||Hair Care*||Black Friday||27 Nov 12 AM to 12 PM||40% Off Sitewide|
|Qhemet Biologics||Hair Care*||Small Business Saturday||28 Nov 10 AM EST - 6 PM EST||25% Off||Happy|
|Anita Grant||Hair Care* (UK)||Cyber Week||Ends 02 Dec||20-30% Off||Excludes makeup & samples|
Vendors marked with an asterisk [*] are black owned businesses.
- Hairfinity Hair Growth Vitamin Review
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- How To: Good Braiding Technique vs. Bad Braiding Technique
- How To: Help My Braids Are Unraveling
- How To: Mini Braids That Last
- How To: Parting On A Grid
- My Braidout Explained
- My Mini Braids- A History
- Top 5 Mistakes Made When Braiding
- Top 5 Tips for Undoing Mini Braids
Top Posts & Pages
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- My Experience With Manetabolism: Manetabolism vs Hairfinity
- How To: Help! My Braids Are Unraveling
- My Experience With Biotin- 5,000 mcg
- My Experience With Hairfinity: Hair Growth Vitamins
- How To: My Braids Are Frizzy, Now What?
- Wash and Go: Aunt Jackie's Curl La La (Long Post w/Pics)
- Ebook: The Mini Braid Method
- How To: Protecting Edges While Wearing Braids
- Tutorial: Braided High Bun
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tags4a 4B 4C 2013 afro hair apl articles before and after black friday blog updates bogo braids code conditioner coupon coupon code discount fast growth fast hair growth growth hairfinity hair growth hair vitamins how to kinky long hair minibraidmethod mini braids my mini braids natural hair pictures product review progress pics promo promo code review sale sales shea moisture style diary style tutorial the mini braid method tutorial Uncategorized vitamins