I feel like I put my hair through a lot this year with the big move across the pond and severely cutting down my stash. I’m going to invest in some more products to help keep my hair moist in this climate. I’m also thinking about starting 2016 with a fresh blunt cut. My favorites from this year are mostly things I brought with me from the US and things I missed dearly.
- Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk: this is my everyday leave in. I have about 3 or 4 bottles left in my stash. I had my mum buy it and bring a few bottles over. She’s a master couponer and was able to get a great deal at Ulta. She stacked BoGo, manufacturers coupons, and the $3.50 off $10 (I think) and got them super cheap. Shea Moisture is officially launched in the UK so hopefully Boots will have some sales and coupons.
- Giovanni Smooth As Silk: this is a great cowash for me. The large size and bottle are perfect for using in the shower. I buy liter bottles from Marshalls or other discount stores. I’ve read that they are available in Costco in the UK, but haven’t looked yet. The conditioner also works well in my hair and is silicone free.
- Giovanni Nutrafix: This is still one of my favorite conditioners. It’s thicker than the Smooth and Silk but spreads really well. The smell is nice and it makes my hair very soft. While it is advertised as a protein conditioner, it doesn’t do much for me in terms of strengthening.
- Le Kair Cholesterol: I’m still using old faithful. I like this as a DC although I don’t use it nearly as much as I used to. Mostly because I’m staying with family and don’t want to spend too much time washing my hair as I’m not paying the bills.
- Bentonite Clay: This goes on the “things I missed list.” I packed some but ended up taking out of my suitcase because it was overweight. I recently purchased some clay from Anita Grant- a UK hair product company- but that version is more finely milled and turned into a clumpy consistency like if you added flour to water instead of water to flour. I’ll have to figure out a recipe that works for this particular brand.
- Coconut Oil: My hair hated coconut oil. I’m still not sure it likes it. Butters and oils tend to make my hair feel hard and wirey. In this cold weather, I’ve been dealing with extremely dry skin, scalp, and hair. Using coconut oil on my scalp has helped keep it from flaking. I’ve used it on my skin sparingly as well. I’ve added it a favorite because my scalp is much better with it than without it.
- Shampoo: I’ve been a cowash/ Curly Girl for years now…basically since I went natural in 2009. I normally only shampoo after using silicones and I only use cones when straightening. Because my scalp has been super dry and I’ve used a lot of heavy butter and oils, I’ve had to shampoo. So far my favorite shampoo is from Maple Holistics. The Winter Blend Shampoo and Conditioner work wonders for my hair and scalp.
One staple I’m still in search of is a styler. I want a heavy cream to set braid outs and twists outs. In seven years, I have yet to find one I love that provides lasting moisture.
- Hairfinity Hair Growth Vitamin Review
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- How To: Good Braiding Technique vs. Bad Braiding Technique
- How To: Help My Braids Are Unraveling
- How To: Mini Braids That Last
- How To: Parting On A Grid
- My Braidout Explained
- My Mini Braids- A History
- Top 5 Mistakes Made When Braiding
- Top 5 Tips for Undoing Mini Braids
Top Posts & Pages
- My Experience With Manetabolism: Manetabolism vs Hairfinity
- My Experience With Biotin- 5,000 mcg
- How To: My Braids Are Frizzy, Now What?
- My Experience With Hairfinity: Hair Growth Vitamins
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- My Mini Braids- Update Week 3
- How To: Help! My Braids Are Unraveling
- Preventing Frizzy Braids
- How To: Protecting Edges While Wearing Braids
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tags4a 4B 4C 2013 afro afro hair apl articles before and after black friday blog updates braids code coupon discount fast growth fast hair growth growth hairfinity hair growth hair vitamins how to kinky kinky hair length check long hair minibraidmethod mini braids my mini braids natural hair pictures product review progress pics promo promo code review sale sales shea moisture style diary style tutorial the mini braid method tutorial Uncategorized vitamins