I braided my hair for the summer. I needed a hairstyle that was convenient for my workout routine. I’m at the gym 4-5 times a week and I sweat a lot. I’ve been co-washing my hair after every gym day and shampooing on weekends. It just made sense to put in my mini braids. I started on a Friday and finished by Monday (I think). Prior to braiding, I shampooed with a Joico product and deep conditioned with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I used Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk as a leave in and put my hair in large braids to dry overnight. I usually don’t use a comb to part my hair for the large braids, but this time I did so I could stay more organized when putting in the mini braids. I also used the rattail comb to make my parts for the braids. See the explanation of my parting method here. As usual, I only used my hands to detangle (no brushes or combs).
My ebook on mini braids explains my method for putting in and maintaining my natural hair in mini braids. I took pictures after each day so I could show how much I usually braid each day. I only braid my hair when I feel like it. I work on the perimeter first so I can hide the hair that’s unbraided. I did have to cancel some plans that weekend because I wasn’t in a good stopping place, but it’s all good.
Day 1 & 2:
Day 3 & 4:
I’m not sure how long I’ll keep these in. I’m getting really serious about working out consistently every week. I’ve set a few weight loss goals. I’ll probably keep my hair braided all summer at least… As long as I’m in the gym 4-5 days a week, I’ll be in mini braids or twists because they’re the best option for me.
I’ve worn these in a bun pretty much every day since I did them. I only styled them once. I used foam rollers to put big waves in my mini braids. I braided my bangs and pinned it to the side. Here’s what the waves looked like after a night out- Preview of Mini Braids. I’ll try to take some better pictures and come up with some styling tutorials while I have them in. If you have any questions, comment below!
- Hairfinity Hair Growth Vitamin Review
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- How To: Good Braiding Technique vs. Bad Braiding Technique
- How To: Help My Braids Are Unraveling
- How To: Mini Braids That Last
- How To: Parting On A Grid
- My Braidout Explained
- My Mini Braids- A History
- Top 5 Mistakes Made When Braiding
- Top 5 Tips for Undoing Mini Braids
Top Posts & Pages
- My Experience With Hairfinity: Hair Growth Vitamins
- My Experience With Biotin- 5,000 mcg
- Frizz and Extension Braids
- My Experience With Manetabolism: Manetabolism vs Hairfinity
- More On My Spring Mini Twists
- Preventing Frizzy Braids
- How To: My Braids Are Frizzy, Now What?
- Wash and Go: Aunt Jackie's Curl La La (Long Post w/Pics)
- How To: Protecting Edges While Wearing Braids
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
Tags4a 4B 4C 2013 afro hair apl articles before and after black friday blog updates braids code conditioner coupon coupon code discount fast growth fast hair growth growth hairfinity hair growth hair vitamins how to kinky length check long hair minibraidmethod mini braids my mini braids natural hair pictures product review progress pics promo promo code review sale sales shea moisture style diary style tutorial the mini braid method tutorial Uncategorized vitamins